School excursions are available Mon - Fri throughout the NSW school terms.
WILD LIFE Sydney Zoo school excursions provide out-of-the-classroom and curriculum aligned learning.
We've pulled together the below information to make an excursion to WILD LIFE Sydney Zoo easier than any other.
Before Your Visit
- Enjoy a complimentary visit in order to plan your excursion and complete a risk assessment. Please request your complimentary visit from our Education Manager one week in advance. Requests must be made Monday to Friday during the Education Office hours.
- Use the online booking form to book your excursion as soon as possible to ensure the dates you would like are still available. Please note, your booking is NOT confirmed until you have been contacted by a bookings agent.
- Bookings are essential and should be made at least two weeks in advance.
- Consider adding on the interactive WILD Kids or WILD Teens Tour or food & beverage options to help make the day run even smoother. More about the WILD Program.
- Payment is made in advance by school cheque or credit card. Students cannot pay individually and payment cannot be made on the day.
On The Day
- Bus - A bus drop off area is available behind the Aquarium on Wheat Road and bus parking is available nearby at the King Street Wharf coach layover. Privately owned school buses are not permitted to use the layover area as this is not property owned by WILD LIFE Sydney Zoo.
- Train - If you are travelling with your students by train, the closest train stations are either Town Hall or Wynyard, both a short 10 minute walk to the aquarium.
- Car - WILD LIFE Sydney Zoo offers all guests cheap parking deals close to Darling Harbour. Just remember to validate your parking ticket at the front desk before you leave.
Arrival and entry
- Make sure you arrive prior to your scheduled visit time in order to make sure students get sufficient time to use the bathrooms.
- Bathrooms are available in the foyer before you enter the zoo.
- Your tickets can be picked up from the front desk and then students will be permitted to enter the attraction.
Recess and lunch
- There are a number of public areas located within Darling Harbour around the attraction that are suitable for large groups to sit down and have lunch.
Bookings and Enquiries
Contact our education call centre to make a school excursion booking on 1-800-195-650
You can also request a booking using our online booking form.
School Excursions FAQ
There are currently two options teachers can choose to use when coming to an excursion to WILD LIFE Sydney Zoo. The options are: WILD Discovery tour - this is a 45 minute hands on style tour with your own education officer. This tour is an additional cost to your entry ticket OR self-guided tour using your own worksheets to guide the students around the zoo.
On average a self-guided school excursion takes around 1.5 hours to see all areas in the attraction. This time can vary depending on how you plan your visit, which animal talks you want to see and if your students are completing worksheets.
We highly recommend when possible to break your large group into smaller groups of 10 with a leader and another teacher to help look after the group. This allows for spreading out your school so that not all the students are trying to see the same exhibit at the same time.
WILD LIFE Sydney Zoo is fully wheelchair accessible and has extensive wheelchair facilities throughout the attraction, including lifts and shallow ramped walkways.
Wheelchairs are available for free hire from guest services on arrival. This is completed on a first come first serve basis.
Please note: we require a form of photographic ID as a deposit which is returned upon return of the wheelchair.
If you have divided your students into smaller groups there are several areas in the zoo where we suggest you can all meet up as a whole group again. Kangaroo Walk-About and Koala Rooftop are great areas to regroup, take a break and mark the roll.
Our WILD Discovery tours are undertaken throughout the zoo, stopping at each exhibit for possible animal encounters and observation. On arrival to the zoo your education officer will meet you at admissions desk and take your first group to this area.
Yes, due to limited space in the zoo we have a maximum class size of 120 students.
These classes run for approx. 45min in total. The session time that you can book for the class is 10am each day.
Buses can drop off and pick up students from the bus bays behind the aquarium on Wheat Road, Darling Harbour. Bus parking is available at the King Street Wharf Coach layover parking which is found off Lime Street for tourist buses only. Privately owned buses cannot use the layover. Please note that buses cannot pick up and drop off from this location.
Yes, we encourage teachers to visit to help plan and prepare your risk assessment teachers can visit the aquarium for free. This provides you with the opportunity to view the attraction and get familiar with the different exhibits, places to eat and what to see before you bring your students. Please request your visit from our Education Manager one week prior to your visit.