School excursions are currently available Monday, Thursday and Friday throughout the NSW school terms. Our opening hours are from 10am to 4pm.
Plan your next school excursion to WILD LIFE Sydney Zoo with our 2021 wall calendar! We've highlighted some useful days of celebration too, great to tie into when teaching your students about the living world.
COVID-19: Information for Schools
We are continuing to follow all government recommendations closely to ensure the future safety and comfort of all our guests and will make any necessary adjustments as changes are announced. For more detailed information on our current health and safety policies please watch our video or visit the 'staying safe' page.
Before Your Visit
- Enjoy a complimentary visit in order to plan your excursion and complete a risk assessment. Please request your complimentary visit using our pre-visit request form. Once this form is completed a member of our admissions team will be in touch to provide you with a unique gift code to book your preferred date and time slot online.
- Use the online enquiry form to book your excursion as soon as possible to ensure the dates you would like are still available. Please note, your booking is only confirmed when you have been contacted by one of our education team.
- Bookings are essential and should be made at least two weeks in advance.
- Payment is made in advance by EFT, school cheque or credit card. Students cannot pay individually and payment cannot be made on the day.
Please find below some useful documents to read before your visit:
On the Day
- Bus - A bus drop off area is available behind the Aquarium on Wheat Road and bus parking is available nearby at the King Street Wharf Coach Layover. Privately owned school buses are not permitted to use the layover area as this is not property owned by WILD LIFE Sydney Zoo.
- Train - If you are travelling with your students by train, the closest train stations are either Town Hall or Wynyard, both a short 10 minute walk to the aquarium.
- Car - WILD LIFE Sydney Zoo offers all guests cheap parking deals close to Darling Harbour. Just remember to validate your parking ticket at the front desk before you leave.
Arrival and entry
- Please make sure that you arrive in time to enter the attraction within your chosen time slot. This is particularly important when we are operating under capacity restrictions to ensure our guests can all remain safe and socially distant. If you arrive outside your chosen time slot you risk not being admitted to the attraction if the next time slot is busy.
- Bathrooms are available in the foyer before you enter the zoo if your students wish to use them before you start your excursion. There are additional toilets available at Koala Rooftop level.
- If you have pre-purchased tickets online and have been issued barcoded tickets, these can be shown and scanned on entry to the attraction via a digital device or as a print out. If you have booked via phone or email with our education team your tickets can be collected from the admissions desk. Please have just one teacher approach the desk to avoid congestion in this area.
Recess and lunch
- There are a number of public areas located within Darling Harbour around the attraction that are suitable for large groups to sit down and have lunch.
Bookings and Enquiries
We offer 3 easy ways to book depending on your group requirements. For more details please visit our booking information page.
If you have questions or wish to make a school excursion booking by phone please email us at email@example.com
Frequently Asked Questions
Our educational WILD Discovery guided tours are currently on hold due to COVID-19. Please visit our self-guided tours page for more information on current school excursion options.
On average a self-guided school excursion takes around 1.5 hours to see all areas in the attraction. This time can vary depending on how you plan your visit, which animal talks you want to see and if your students are completing worksheets.
We highly recommend when possible to break your large group into smaller groups of 10 with a leader and another teacher to help look after the group. This allows for spreading out your school so that not all the students are trying to see the same exhibit at the same time.
WILD LIFE Sydney Zoo is fully wheelchair accessible and has extensive wheelchair facilities throughout the attraction, including lifts and shallow ramped walkways. For more information please visit our accessibility page.
If you have divided your students into smaller groups there are several areas in the zoo where we suggest you can all meet up as a whole group again. Kangaroo Walk-About and Koala Rooftop are great areas to regroup, take a break and mark the roll.
Buses can drop off and pick up students from the bus bays behind the aquarium on Wheat Road, Darling Harbour. Bus parking is available at the King Street Wharf Coach layover parking which is found off Lime Street for tourist buses only. Privately owned buses cannot use the layover. Please note that buses cannot pick up and drop off from this location.
To help you plan your excursion and prepare your risk assessment teachers can access a complementary ticket to WILD LIFE Sydney Zoo so you can visit ahead of bringing your students. This provides you with the opportunity to view the attraction and get familiar with the different exhibits, places to eat and what to see before you bring your students. To request your visit please go to our free teacher pre-visit page.