Go back to blog
The Goodfellow’s Tree Kangaroo
- Friday 20th May 2022
- Tree Kangaroo, Conservation, Wildlife
World Tree Kangaroo Day <H2>
May 21st is World Tree Kangaroo Day. Here is all you need to know about these tree-dwellers.
The Goodfellow’s Tree Kangaroo is a sub-species of the Tree Kangaroo. These cheeky, beautiful marsupials can be found 60 feet above ground level, in the trees of the Northern region of Queensland and Papua-New Guinea.
What makes them different from the ground-dwelling Kangaroos? <H2>
- Tree Kangaroos are able to move their back legs independently from each other to help them climb the trees.
- They have shorter limbs, sharper claws and special padding on their paws so they can climb on trees.
- They are an endangered species.
Tree Kangaroos are Endangered Animals <H2>
These chestnut-coloured Kangaroos are classified endangered by the IUCN Red list. There are multiple reasons these creatures are becoming so few with the main reason being habitat destruction through:
- Palm oil plantations
- Locals clearing the land for personal needs.
Hunting is also a big reason why these furry creatures are becoming endangered.
What is being done to help the declining population of the Tree Kangaroo and what can you personally do? <H2>
- One thing you can do is buy sustainable palm oil. Look for the check of approval when buying products that use palm oil.
- Across Australia, conservation efforts are being done to help build back up the population, through breeding programs that our very own Kofi here at WILD LIFE Sydney is participating in.
- Kofi is still quite young so once he is a little older and we find him a suitable female match, he will be a part of the program to build back once again, his population.
Want to come and see a Tree Kangaroo up close? Head on into WILD LIFE Sydney and say hello to our guy.
Peak pricing applies to school holidays and weekends.
Ticket Type Walk Up Price/Peak Online SAVE 20% - Pre-Book Online (Off Peak Weekdays) High Demand Pricing Adult From $48 From $38.40 $50 Child (3-15 yrs) From $36 From $28.20 $38 Student or Senior* From $39 From $31.20 $41 Child (0-2 yrs) FREE FREE FREE Merlin Annual Passholder FREE N/A N/A
Please note: Our ticket pricing is subject to available capacity and prices may fluctuate during periods of high demand.
- Price includes Digi Photo Pass with 8 digital photos included (excludes Koala Photo experience)!
- Children under 16 years of age must be accompanied by an adult (18+)
- Get your ticket on your phone