31 Oct 2014 14:55:20
Keeper Kylie: How to Survive the Summer Heat
It is set to be a scorcher in Sydney this weekend and at WILD LIFE Sydney Zoo we take great care to ensure our animals stay cool in hot weather.
Here our keepers share their tricks as well as tips for keeping your pets safe and cool.
- Southern Cassowary: Princess loves to get a cooling hose shower from keepers.
- Grey Kangaroos: The kangaroos lick their forearms when it's hot as the evaporation of saliva off skin cools the blood. Our keepers also offer ice blocks to lick with carrots and sweet potato frozen inside.
- Possums and Greater Bilby: The keepers offer them ice blocks filled with mealworms when temperatures get high.
- Koalas: To cool themselves down, koalas spread their body out as much as possible to allow cool air to all parts of the body and the keepers offer them cool leaves from the fridge.
- Cats: Keep cool in the house. Offer an ice block treat with cat food frozen inside. Offer a frozen bottle of water, wrapped in a tea towel to avoid animal's fur getting stuck to it for the animal to curl up next to.
- Dogs: A cooling bath works a treat as well as frozen kibble.
- Rabbits/Guinea Pigs: Make sure they have plenty of shade or even bring indoors where it's cooler. Also ensure they have constant access to fresh, cool water.
- Fish: Move their tank out of direct sunlight, in a cool place in the house.